Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 23

día veintitrés: (Day 23, yesterday) Today I am thankful for my dad. Things have been rough over the pasta few years, but I am still thankful for the love and support he gives Ben and me.
Dear God, today I want to thank You for my dad. Not just for the dad he was to me before my parents' divorce, but also the dad he's been since then. Lord, it has been really easy for me to avoid seeking a better relationship with him again because of the wall I've put between us. God, continually open my eyes to all the things he does for Ben and me and the love he continues to show. He's always wanted to be a good dad to Ben and me... thank You, Lord, for that passion of his and the ways he has shown that. While I do not appreciate some things he has done, I do realize that everything happens for a reason. I also realize that You have been by my side during everything that has happened. Thank You for being a perfect Heavenly Father, especially in times when I have felt that my earthly father has fallen short. But God, even in the tough times of separation, divorce, and remarriage, my dad was never too far away physically or emotionally. He never decided to turn his back on the family, whereas many people would. Thank You for Dad's devotion to us. Thank You that he has done what he can to try to improve our relationship, even when I have been the least interested in that. Lord, continue to work forgiveness in my heart. Show me what grace really looks like and how I can extend that to my dad. You have forgiven us of any sin we commit - You even gave Your Son Jesus as a sacrifice for us. Whenever we mess up and confess it to You, You tell us it's okay and work in us to change. That is grace, over and over and over. Help me take hold of that and give some grace to my dad.
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." -Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank You for the relationship that my dad and I had as I grew up. Help us attain something like that again. Lord, help me to be my smiling and laughing self around him again. Thank You that he has never given up on me. Thank You that You, God, never give up on me. Work in this relationship and help me show Your unfailing & unconditional love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment